An expository essay is a factual essay that explains a specific topic or set of ideas to a defined audience.
Characteristics of a Five-Paragraph Expository Essay
- Used to inform or explain
2. Includes a hook in the introduction 3. Thesis statement includes the topic + assertion + blueprint 4. Includes body paragraphs that have a topic sentence, detail sentences, and a clincher or transitional sentence 5. Ends with a conclusion that summarizes the main points
- Write your expository essays in third person.
- When writing your expository essay, assume that your readers don't know anything about your topic.
- Explain your topic clearly, even if you think some details are common knowledge.
Reading Challenge - Read at least one essay to get some ideas for your own.